Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tuesdays With Dorie: Lemon Biscotti


Gretchen of Canela and Comino chose this week's recipe for biscotti. The complete recipe is on her blog, which has gorgeous photos and great food - be sure to check it out. And for those who haven't heard, the Tuesdays with Dorie group will no longer be accepting new members after October 31st. So if you want to join in all the baking fun, you better join soon. Trust me, you won't be sorry! It's a blast!

I was so excited to make this biscotti. In the words of Dorie, I decided to "play around" and make a plain lemon version by adding lemon zest to the mixture. Making biscotti was a first for me and as I was making it I thought, hmmph... this is easy! I still can't get over how quick it was and how smoothly the whole process went.

Here's my marching band fresh out of the oven:


Sadly enough, when I told my husband that I was making biscotti, he said "you're making WHAT?" Apparently biscotti is not a man thing because he totally had no clue what I was talking about despite my attempts to explain it. He only seemed interested when I told him he could eat some for breakfast with his coffee. Hey, whatever works.

These are absolutely delicious and have such a great lemon flavor. Why haven't I made these before?!?

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love lemon flavors - maybe that'll go on my list for next time! boys are silly. :)

Prudy said...

They look phenomenal. Sorry they weren't your husband's favorite, but it sounds like they won't go uneaten.:)

Marie Rayner said...

Melissa your biscotti look picture perfect! Much better than my crumbs!! Well done you!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Did your husband end up liking the biscotti-with-coffee? Mine told me he didn't like biscotte, so I wasn't too enthused about making them. In the end he has loved these with his coffee in the morning, and even made some after-dinner coffee on Monday (which he never does on a work night). He later told me he what he doesn't like about biscotti is how much places like Starbucks charge for them. Oh. Anyway, your lemon variation looks fab. Did you leave out the extract?
Nancy

CB said...

Mmmmm... love me some lemon! I totally wanna do a lemon version the next time I make these. Glad to hear they tasted yummy!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Zesty Cook said...

WOW - You cannot go wrong with lemon.... they look nothing short of amazing. Great Photos. Love your blog!

Engineer Baker said...

Those look wonderful, and I bet the lemon version was quite tasty.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

That is funny about your husband. Mine loves cookies so this was perfect for him. Lemon...yum! I will have to try that!

Gretchen Noelle said...

I really wanted to do a lemon version - actually lemon and ginger. I thought sounded delicious! Glad you enjoyed these biscotti!

Michelle A'etonu said...

these look wonderful! i haven't made these yet. I haven't found any time, but will probably be doing it late tonight after class! wish me luck!

Cathy said...

I'm with you -- WHY I haven't I made these before, and when can I make them again? Yours look perfect -- I love your lemon additions!!

chocolatechic said...

I don't know why I have never made biscotti before either.

This was a super pick.

Melissa said...

n.o.e. - My husband DID end up liking them and was really excited to have some for breakfast this morning. I actually did use the extract, but did half almond extract and half lemon extract (which I just bought recently for a different recipe). They're very tasty!

Anonymous said...

Those look delicious! I like the idea of adding lemon.

Tammy said...

Your biscotti looks perfect!

hoagiefest 2020 said...

Lemon biscotti? Yum yum yum! I've always hated biscotti until this week, and now I am having dreams about all the wonderful biscotti variations to come.

Pamela said...

I don't think I paid close enough attention when I read the "playing around" section. I am definitely going to have to try my hand at lemon biscotti! They look fabulous.
Thanks for the compliment and the kind words on my blog! I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Lemon biscotti sound delicious. Yum!

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

They are beautiful - just the right shade of golden light brown. Great job!

alexandra's kitchen said...

biscotti are one of my all-time favorite foods. i haven't made them in forever. these look lovely!

Maria said...

Looks like you had super success this week! They look wonderful!

Shari said...

Your marching band looks wonderful!

Cakelaw said...

I agree - these were good. Funny about your husband not having heard of them - betcha he won't forget them now ;)