Thursday, November 13, 2008

Corn Chowder


This is a great recipe for a cold day. I love love love corn so I think I could eat this corn chowder every day. It's rich and creamy and has really great flavor. Could that be from the bacon added in? Or maybe the cup of heavy cream? I'll have to start wearing more sweaters to hide the weight I'm surely gaining from dishes like this.

I got this recipe from my buddy Emeril. I tried to resist shouting BAM when I put things into the pot, but it was hard. I'm betting this soup is extra good when corn is in season. But since it's not right now, I used cans of sweet golden corn, or you can use frozen. Either will work fine.


Sprinkle on whatever toppings you're in the mood for. I used crumbled bacon, chopped onion and parsley and it looked so pretty. Don't miss out on this yummy dish!


Corn Chowder


4 oz. bacon, chopped
1 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
3/4 cup finely chopped red bell peppers
5 cups corn kernels
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 quarts chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
1 and 1/2 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled russet potatoes
1 Tbsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 cup heavy cream
Finely chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

1. Place an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat and cook the bacon until crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels.

2. Add the onions, carrots, and celery to the stockpot and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the bell peppers and corn to the pot and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Sprinkle the flour into the pot and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Pour the chicken stock into the pot and stir to combine. Use a whisk if necessary to break up any clumps. Add the potatoes to the pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for 20 minutes.

3. Season the chowder with the salt and cayenne and stir in the cream. Serve with the bacon and parsley as garnish.

Makes 3 quarts, 10 to 12 servings.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh, this looks amazing. I know I'd say "bam." All of that creamy corn goodness and bacon? It'll be worth it even if I have to wear huge sweaters to hide the extra bulk!

Zesty Cook said...

I love corn chowder - will definitely try your recipe. Great stuff

zesty

Amy said...

I've been looking for a good corn chowder recipe. I will have to give this a try. This looks so yummy!