Monday, October 20, 2008

Dorie's Perfectly Smashed Party Cake


Okay, so I didn't make the pumpkin muffins this week. But I swear I have a good excuse. My little guy turned one on Saturday! And that meant lots of company and a house to clean and food to prepare. So I was a tad bit busy to say the least.

I made a miniature version of Dorie's perfect party cake for my son - minus the coconut on the outside. Judging from the dent he made in it, I'd say it was very good. And okay, I just might have taken a few bites since there was a good deal left of it after he smashed it all up.


I looooved the lemony flavor and it was so moist. It was so moist that it was a tad bit hard to frost it and not have the cake end up in the frosting. But I made plenty of frosting, so there was enough for a double coating.

I may just have to make this cake for every birthday from here on out. Yummy and surprisingly easy. For the recipe, get the book! It's Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan.

8 comments:

Pamela said...

Happy Birthday to your little guy! Time flies, doesn't it? Love the second picture where he's looking at the cake. He truly looks like he loved it.

CB said...

Happy birthday to your big boy!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Michelle A'etonu said...

yes that cake looked so delicious!!! I actually made my first pie this weekend, maybe I should try making my first two-layer cake now!

Cathy said...

Happy birthday to your little boy! What a big, special day! Looks like you indeed had the perfect party cake to celebrate. Glad that it was a hit with the guest of honor!

Prudy said...

Oh, little fella! Happy Birthday! He's so darling and it looks like he enjoyed his cake. Pumpkin muffins just would not have had the same effect!

Shelby said...

What a great birthday for your little boy to be presented with the perfect party cake!

Jen said...

I am going to embarass Melissa but I was there for the big birthday. She did a great job with the cake for Dylan. It was perfect and he clearly loved it, although it took him a few swipes before he really dug into the cake. And I agree it was much better for her to do the cake than the muffins. Dylan's 1st birthday only comes once.

Anonymous said...

Is that not the CUTEST thing ever!? I think little ones have it right: the best way to enjoy a cake is when it is all over the place!!