Thursday, October 30, 2008

Swedish Meatballs


Oooh, I love swedish meatballs. So easy to prepare and perfect as an appetizer or as a whole meal. I made these in a joint effort with my husband and my mother-in-law. We had them at my son's first birthday party and all had fun helping. My husband mixed up the meat, my mother-in-law formed the meatballs, and I cooked them all up.

Let me tell you the best thing about this recipe. It freezes fantastically! In a moment of craziness, I decided we needed to quadruple this recipe for the party. Each batch makes about 25 meatballs. I clearly didn't take into account the ton of other food I was making and grossly overestimated the hunger of our guests, because we had a lot left over. So they were shoved in the freezer the next day. When I later defrosted them and served them over egg noodles, they were just as good as the day I made them.


Happy Halloween everyone!

Swedish Meatballs
(adapted from Allrecipes.com)

1 and 2/3 cups evaporated milk
2/3 cup chopped onion
1/4 fine dry bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. allspice
dash of pepper
1 pound ground round
2 tsp. butter
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. lemon juice

1. Combine 2/3 cup evaporated milk, onion, crumbs, salt, allspice, pepper, and meat; mix well. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.

2. Shape meat mixture into 1 inch balls. In large skillet, brown meatballs in butter. Dissolve bouillon cubes in boiling water; pour over meatballs and bring to boil over medium heat. Cover; simmer for 15 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, blend together cold water and flour. Remove meatballs from skillet, skim fat from pan juices and reserve juices. Stir 1 cup evaporated milk and flour/water mixture into pan juices in skillet; cook, uncovered, over low heat, stirring until sauce thickens. Return meatballs to skillet. Stir in lemon juice.

Makes approximately 10-15 servings.

4 comments:

Michelle A'etonu said...

i love swedish meatballs myself! another must-steal, Melissa!

Kristin said...

looks yummy! I love to make swedish meatballs, one of my FEW secialties...however I take the easy way out and use frozen meatballs and the crockpot, easier for me and still tastes good..haha :) I use a heavy sauce of golden and cream of mushroom soup and sour cream/flour mixture. I'll have to try your recipe too.

Anonymous said...

Did you freeze the meatballs and the sauce after cooking them all? I try some of your recipes from time to time, and this one looks great!

Melissa said...

Hi Melissa,
Yes, I froze them after they were completely cooked then thawed them in the microwave. They're still tasty even after being frozen!