Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Southwestern Chicken

My husband and I started dating while in college in upstate New York. The very first trip we took together was to Lake Placid, which wasn't far from our school. It was February and it was really cold. You know how when you're first dating and you try to be nice and agree to do something if that's what he wants? Well, we went skiing and I hated it. I'm totally not a skier and I've actually never been again since that trip about 8 years ago. Don't laugh, but I literally fell off the ski lift trying to get off of it. You'll never get me close to one of those things ever again. Not my thing. Point me to the fireplace and the hot chocolate and I'm happy. Here's a picture of me from that trip. Do I look like I'm having fun?


Well, thankfully the trip did get better after that experience. We spent a day in downtown Lake Placid, shopping and hitting up the restaurants. My then-boyfriend and now-husband knew how much I like to cook even back then and bought me a great cookbook with a collection of Adirondack recipes. This recipe for Southwestern Chicken is from that cookbook. The recipe comes from a great place in Lake Placid called the Interlaken Inn and Restaurant. It's one of the oldest inns in the Adirondacks and it's meals are elegant and served over candlelight.


This recipe is truly a gem. It's sophisticated and so perfect for a special occasion. The puff pastry makes it fun and different and is surprisingly easy to work with. It's just plain awesome and (thankfully) reminds me of the good parts of our trip.


Southwestern Chicken
(adapted from Famous Adirondacks Restaurants and Recipes)

2 chicken breasts
5 oz. jar marinated artichokes, drained
4 oz. can diced green chilies
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup sour cream
10 oz. package Pepperidge Farm puff shells (6 shells)

1. Bake puff shells according to the package directions.

2. Cook chicken and dice.

3. Puree artichokes, green chilies and sour cream in food processor. After chicken is cooled, combine it with the artichoke mixture.

4. Put mixture into a pan and heat through. Add cheese and stir well.

5. Spoon mixture into pastry shells and serve.

Makes 6 puff shells with chicken filling.



And now for some award business!

My good friend Michelle of Sweet Sensations presented me with a blog award. What an honor! These awards are given by our peers and are a great way to encourage all of us bloggers to keep up our hard work. It's great to know that people are getting enjoyment out of what we do.



I wanted to pass this along but it seems that all of the blogs that I frequent have already received it. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks highly of them.

Thanks Michelle!

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Melissa I must say I love your blog too! I have told quite a few people about it. I know my sister and other friends check it frequently to see what you are cooking up. Your photos are so professional that it makes the food look that much better. YUM!

Eunice said...

Mmmm I want to try this out! Unfortunately we can't get premade puff shells here in Malaysia so I have to brave my fears and venture into puff pastry yet again! I've never got it perfect - although my 2 tries where when I was young, inexperienced guided by only the recipe book in front of me!

Jacque said...

mMMmm, I wish the photos also came with aromas. That looks like it smelled good.

Yum!

Nana said...

Melissa - I have told all my friends and family about your blog and many comment: "How does she find the time with a 1 Year Old?" I tell them your super mommy. Keep up the good work, I love finding out what you are cooking up next.

Jen said...

That is too funny because that is the first "vacation" Denny's Dad and I took was to Lake Placid on a Thanksgiving weekend. We had a great time with family but did not do the skiing thing. The shopping and eating thing-yes we did do. And you know I have tried a lot of the recipes already so keep them coming. Love Jen