Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie: Chocolate Chunkers


Another cookie this week! This selection was made by Claudia of Fool for Food. Scoot on over to her blog if you'd like the recipe. And as always, you can buy the cookbook, Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan for this and many more recipes. It rocks.

I am a BIG chocolate fan, so I was really excited to see this week's selection. The chocolate chunkers are straight up and down chocolate. I read over the recipe first and loved everything... until I got to the part where you put in raisins and nuts. Uuummm.... I don't think I'd be a big fan of raisins in these. And I sometimes like nuts in my cookies, but not always. So I didn't risk it. I omitted these two ingredients, which left me nothing but chocolate. Oh boy... sounds healthy.


These chunkers/cookies/grabbers (or whatever Dorie is calling them this week) were so chocolatey and fudgy and yummy. I was happy for the white chocolate to make these cookies look like more than just brown blobs. I made them just in time for a baby shower I was hosting and everyone said they were delicious. Fortunately I had a few left over to munch on for the past few days. Last night I made an ice cream sundae with one, and boy was it good.

I'm curious to see how others liked the cookies with the nuts and raisins. Maybe someday I'll try it that way. I really liked this choice, but I'm about all cookie-ed out now, so I'm glad we're taking a break from cookies at least for a few weeks!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

i left out the raisins too - yuck, i just don't like raisins in cookies. but the nuts were actually great, and added a much-needed texture to what would otherwise just be gooey chocolate. not that that's a bad thing, "just" gooey chocolate. :) your photos are gorgeous.

Prudy said...

Those look wonderful and no wonder they were the hit of the baby shower.

Lady Baker said...

I kept thinking as I ate mine, "they're good--but these would be great with JUST the chocolate chunks.."

Now that I see your post it's convincing me to try it that way next time!

Maria said...

Your cookies turned out great! I love these ones. SO rich and delicious!

CB said...

Another raisins-in-desserts hater here. Glad everyone enjoyed them at the baby shower!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Michelle A'etonu said...

they were actually great with the nuts and raisins, and I'm not big on raisins! your cookies look great. I love the first picture--so colorful! I'm glad you had the ladies try them at the baby shower. They'll probably be calling for the recipe soon if they haven't already!

Cathy said...

Yours look great! I did love mine with pecans and golden raisins. I think they'd be good with dried cherries instead of raisins. Glad they were a hit at the baby shower!

Flourchild said...

I used golden raisins in half of the cookies and liked them better with out them. These cookie were amazing! Im glad you liked them as well as the girls at the shower.

Engineer Baker said...

I actually loved the raisins and nuts in them. The raisins added a bit of tartness, and roasted peanuts complimented the chocolate with a nice saltiness. I'm sure they were fabulous without too though.

TeaLady said...

I used cranberries and pecans in mine and they turned out quite well. Yours look tasty. Good job!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I made them with and without fruit and nuts, and they are completely different kinds of cookies. The "just chocolate" ones were really great gooey chocolate cookies. The fruit-and-nuts ones were an inspired synergy of tastes. I used golden raisins but I think sour cherries would be fantastic. And salty nuts, chopped a bit, add a great texture and taste.
Nancy

Jules Someone said...

I think they needed the nuts and raisins to cut some of the sweetness. Yours look really delicious, though!

Cristine said...

I left out the raisins, too. These cookies were amazing!!! Glad you liked them, too! They look so yummy!

Marthe said...

I loved the cookies with pecans and golden raisins: the pecans added a crunch to the cookies (I coarsly chopped them) and the golden raisins a sweetness (they went in whole)

kimberly salem said...

yum, got to love straight chocolate!! :) they look great! it's amazing how different everyone's cookies look even though we all used the same recipe.

Jamie said...

These cookies were delicious! Yours look fantastic!

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

We decided not to do the raisins either. Yuck! Your cookies look fantastic!

Pamela said...

They look wonderful and what a great way to share them! Hope everyone had fun!

Bungalow Barbara said...

Sometime I will have to try these with just chocolate. Chocolate rules!

We like nuts and dried fruit, so I put them in. To each her own!