Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Baked Spaghetti Pie


I had never in my life had spaghetti pie, nor even ever heard of it, before I saw it in a Good Housekeeping article and it peaked my interest. The idea of spaghetti being baked in a pie dish sounded fantastic! To my surprise, when I placed this on the table, my hubby informed me that his Grandma used to make this for him way back in the day. Who would have known? I surely thought this was a new creation that those cooking pros at Good Housekeeping dreamed up. But nope, this is an old fashioned classic... one that I had somehow missed in my 29 years.

This dish was way too easy to be good... but to my surprise, it was fantastic. It has just 6 simple ingredients and is great if you're on a budget. It was super quick and easy to throw it all together in a pie dish and stick it in the oven for 25 minutes. I made some quick garlic bread for the side and called it a day. I asked my hubby if it was as good as his Grandma's and he said that it was so long ago he really didn't remember... but he did indeed love it and requested that I make it again for him. So I'll just tell myself that it's better than Grandma's...




Baked Spaghetti Pie


1/2 pound spaghetti
2 large eggs
1 container (15 oz.) part-skim ricotta cheese
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1 cup marinara sauce
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain.

2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9-inch pie plate. In large bowl, with fork, beat eggs. Stir in ricotta and 3/4 cup Parmesan until blended.

3. Add spaghetti to ricotta mixture and stir until well coated. Transfer spaghetti mixture to prepared pie plate; top with marinara sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining 2 Tbsp. Parmesan.

4. Bake pie 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes for easier serving. Cut into wedges to serve.

Makes 6 servings.

8 comments:

Michelle A'etonu said...

Hey pretty lady! Your blueberry coffee cake is out of this world! Roz and I made it this morning for breakfast and it totally knocked our socks off! I'm going to post it on my blog for my family...they'll love it too. And I'm about to try your spaghetti pie. I love the fact that you choose such easy-to-make recipes. Not to mention they're all just to die for! Thanks so much!

P.S. I'm going to check out another cooking blog thingy--Barefoot Bloggers (they follow Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa). I found it from another TWD blog.

Maria said...

Looks like a tasty dinner! I like your TWD cookies too! They turned out great!

Anonymous said...

Oh! I looooove this! My grandmother was the first in making it to me and ever since I've done several times... I love to top it with some haevy cream and grated cheese though I'm sure marinara sauce must be amazing too!

Michelle A'etonu said...

thanks for commenting on my layout! i'm actually having someone design one for me since I'm not as good as you are at the photoshop stuff and I want to make it more personal, you know! I'll be doing the spaghetti pie this weekend. i'll let you know how it goes! have a great weekend!

TeaLady said...

I have to try this. Getting tired of same old sketti every month. This looks really delish.

Cathy said...

I am going to make this tomorrow. It sounds like all of the enjoyment of lasagna with less fuss. It looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

We would like to feature your baked spaghetti pie on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

You can view our blog here:
blog.keyingredient.com/

Everyday Is Delicious said...

This version sounds good, too! It's a lot easier and quicker if your short on time.