Thursday, September 11, 2008

Cornbread Casserole


It doesn't get much more southern than this! The first time I had any sort of corn casserole was when my Grandmother made it for us during the time that she visited after I had my son. I loved it. I told her I needed the recipe, but somehow have still never actually received it from her, or remembered to ask her for it again. Since then, I've come across a few corn casserole recipes. I made one a little while back and it was a bit bland and watery. Not good. Then I made this casserole and it rocked my socks off!

This dish is like a really moist cornbread, and it's sweet and has chunks of corn throughout. It makes a huge amount, and I didn't actually realize the magnitude of it until I was pouring it all into the 13x9 pan to bake. Then I thought... why didn't I halve this? Turns out I'm glad I didn't because the leftovers this week have been delicious. It bakes for an hour, so it has to be started a little early, but you stick it in the oven and forget about it. Denny and I loved it!


Cornbread Casserole
(from Taste of the South magazine)

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup water
2 large eggs
1 (8.5 oz.) package corn muffin mix, such as Jiffy
2 (14.75 oz.) cans cream-style corn
1 (15.25 oz.) can whole-kernel corn, drained
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter in a 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Set aside.

2. In a bowl, conbine water and eggs. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Pour over melted butter in prepared dish. Spread butter that collects in the corners of dish over the top of the casserole.

3. Bake for 1 hour.

3 comments:

Michelle A'etonu said...

looks dee-licious, as usual!

TeaLady said...

I make this on a regular basis and it is good cold too. Yours looks good.

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

I am supposed to be working but have spent the last hour going thru the food blog and drooling over my computer keyboard!

YUMMY!