Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Sweet Potato Fries


I am a HUGE fan of sweet potato fries, though I have to admit that I never actually had them until I moved down south a few years ago. Do people up north actually eat sweet potatoes besides on Thanksgiving? I certainly never did, and don't recall ever seeing them at restaurants or anything either. I never knew what I was missing.

So last week as I was purchasing sweet potatoes to make my son's baby food, I decided to pick up a few extra and cook up some fries. They are so incredibly easy and have me thinking that I need to make them more often. I had a recipe, but didn't end up following it because I knew what I liked and didn't like on them. So here's how my hubby and I like them. They're delicious! Serve them with burgers, sandwiches, steak, chicken... well, just about anything.


Sweet Potato Fries

1 and 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (yams), peeled, cut into 1/2-inch-wide slices, then again into 1/2-inch-wide strips
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. dried Italian parsley
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 500°F. Spray large baking sheet with vegetable oil spray. Toss sweet potatoes with oil in large bowl.

2. Spread sweet potatoes in single layer on baking sheet. Top with parsley, thyme, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Bake until sweet potatoes are tender and golden brown, turning occasionally, about 30 minutes.

Makes 4 servings.

No comments: