Thursday, August 7, 2008

BBQ Meatloaf


Funny story - when I was younger, my Dad always used to tell me that I needed to learn how to cook meatloaf because when I got married someday, I'd have to make meatloaf for my husband. I used to laugh at him and say, "Who eats meatloaf?" because it wasn't exactly something we had often in our house, and wasn't something that ever came to mind when I was hungry. Well, lo and behold, now I'm married and my husband's favorite meal is meatloaf. I definitely married a "meat and potatoes" type of guy, because he does not enjoy when I make salads or anything without meat. This must be payback for everything I put my Dad through when I was younger.

Since I love cooking for my husband and keeping him happy, I find myself cooking meatloaf more often than I ever thought I would. This recipe for BBQ meatloaf is a favorite. Nice and juicy and tender, and the BBQ sauce that it's slathered in lends a great taste. I've now done my wifely duty and cooked him his meatloaf... I wonder how long we can go before he asks for it again.



BBQ Meatloaf

1 and a half pounds ground beef
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 onion, chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 and a half tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Two 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
3 Tbsp. vinegar
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. prepared mustard
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

1. Mix together the beef, breadcrumbs, onion, egg, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce. Form the mixture into a loaf and place it in a shallow pan.

2. Stir together the remaining tomato sauce, the water, vinegar, sugar, mustard, and Worcestershire. Pour this sauce over the meatloaf. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour, basting occasionally with the pan juices.

Serves 6.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I have a really good recipe for meatloaf too that I will have to send you for a variation for Denny - this looks delicious and I am a meat/potatoes girl so it's right up my alley - perhaps you could freeze it and ship some to me.