Saturday, August 9, 2008

Shredded Beef Sandwiches

These sandwiches are delicious, light and easy! Cooked in a slow cooker, they're perfect for a busy day. The meat roasts all day and produces its own au jus sauce for dipping the sandwiches. They reminded me of beef sandwiches that I've had at restaurants, and are just as good.

I used hamburger buns, which were great, though I think next time I may make them a little more exciting and use a different type of roll or thick bread. Maybe a garlic roll or sourdough bread. They are perfect with a side dish of fries or a salad.

The recipe calls for a pretty large piece of meat, but feel free to use whatever suits your family best. I bought a 1.5 pound chuck roast and it was much more suitable for just me and Denny. This is so simple and great. Enjoy!



Shredded Beef Sandwiches
(adapted from Southern Living: Light and Easy Comfort Food)

1 lean boneless chuck roast, about 3 and 1/4 pounds
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
3 bay leaves
9 hamburger buns or other large rolls

1. Trim fat from roast. Place roast and next 6 ingredients in an electric slow cooker. Cover with lid; cook over low-heat setting for 11 hours or until roast is tender. Remove roast from slow cooker; let stand 10 minutes. Shred with 2 forks, and set aside.

2. Strain cooking liquid; discard solids. Cover liquid, and freeze at least 1 hour. Skim solidified fat from surface; discard. Place cooking liquid in a saucepan, and bring to a boil; remove from heat.

3. Serve beef on buns with the hot cooking liquid as a dipping sauce.

Makes 9 servings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Missy! I tried this recipe last night- yum yum! So easy to make! Thanks for the recipe. I always love all your great recipes. I made a quick homemade BBQ sauce to go with them and some baked basil/garlic/parmesan fries. Everything was a hit- it will end up being a football night dinner.
-Tammy