Thursday, July 31, 2008

Sri Lanka Chicken Curry

So I guess I was feeling in a worldly mood when I picked out this Indian dish. I wanted to do something different, and turns out I'm glad I did. I'm confessing that the only Indian dish I've ever had is Chicken Tikka, which is pretty much the tamest dish you can get and is basically the starter meal if you're exploring Indian food. So here I am trying to broaden my horizons.

The recipe makes a rather large amount of chicken, so I halved it and it was just enough for Denny and I, with lunch leftovers for Denny for the next day. It was a pretty easy meal and the ingredients are straightforward. The only thing I had trouble finding was the coconut milk, but I found it in the ethnic aisle of my supermarket after I asked an employee for help... not sure why I didn't think to check there to begin with!

Everything cooked up perfectly in this dish and the flavors were great. I was a little nervous how it would all come together, but it was delicious and I'll definitely make it again. Try it, you'll like it!



Sri Lanka Chicken Curry
(from Bon Appétit magazine)

2/3 cup chopped onion
5 garlic cloves, peeled
2 Tbsp. chopped peeled fresh ginger
1 Tbsp. curry powder
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. dried crushed red pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
12 chicken thighs with skin and bones
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup low-salt chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Freshly cooked rice

1. Blend first 6 ingredients and 1/4 cup cilantro in processor to form paste, stopping frequently to scrape down sides of bowl. Rub paste over chicken.

2. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown on all sides, about 6 minutes. Add coconut milk, broth, and turmeric. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, turning once, about 30 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate. Boil liquid in skillet until reduced to sauce consistency, about 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt. Return chicken to skillet; heat through. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cilantro. Serve over rice.

1 comment:

The Baran Family said...

Seriously Melissa.. you are something huh? Look at you creating all these crazy things... amazing...