Monday, July 14, 2008

Fresh Corn Cakes

We are big fans of sweet corn in my house and we take every opportunity to make it while it's in season. This recipe is a great use for corn. I love the idea of cooking with fresh corn, so when I saw this recipe I knew I had to try it.

These were really easy to make and the recipe makes a TON! We only had a few, and the rest are in the freezer for next time. The blend of corn and mozzarella tastes so good in these. Like little cheesy cornbread cakes! I made these as a side dish, but I almost contemplate reheating them and putting a little jelly on them for breakfast one morning. You can definitely get creative with these.



Fresh Corn Cakes
(from Southern Living magazine)

2 and 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 5 ears)
3 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
3 Tbsp. butter, melted
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup yellow or white cornmeal
1 (8-oz.) package fresh mozzarella cheese, grated
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

1. Pulse first 4 ingredients in a food processor 3 to 4 times or just until corn is coarsely chopped.

2. Stir together flour and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in corn mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened.

3. Spoon 1/8 cup batter for each cake onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or large non-stick skillet to form 2-inch cakes (do not spread or flatten cakes). Cook cakes 3 to 4 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Turn and cook other sides 2 to 3 minutes.

Makes about 3 dozen.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

now I could handle all these delicious recipes if you and your husband weighed 300 pounds each. Please tell me you weigh 300 pounds each. The corncakes look wonderful!