Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Red and Yellow Bell Pepper Relish

We had company over recently and made a fabulous beef tenderloin. I had this recipe for a beef relish and decided I'd make it. It is absolutely delicious! I made this a day ahead of time to let the flavors meld, and it also made my dinner preparations on the night we had company so much easier.

This relish uses simple ingredients. I actually omitted the olives because I'm not a big fan, and it tasted great regardless. You can heat this up or serve it at room temperature. The little bit of mustard flavor is fantastic! I highly recommend trying this.



Red and Yellow Bell Pepper Relish
(from Bon Appétit magazine)

2 Tbsp. (1/4 stick) butter
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup coarsely chopped pitted Kalamata olives
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, chopped

1. Melt butter with oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add all peppers and sauté until just tender, about 3 minutes. Add olives, mustard, and garlic; stir 1 minute. Remove from heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

2. Transfer relish to bowl. Cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight. (Relish can be made 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.) Bring to room temperature before serving.

No comments: