Tuesday, April 6, 2010

TWD: Mocha-Walnut Marbled Bundt Cake

It sure is a joy to make a recipe you typically wouldn't give a second glance to and have it be DELICIOUS.


The selection for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie is the Mocha-Walnut Marbled Bundt Cake. I followed the recipe to the "T" this week... with one big exception. As I was deep in the middle of baking, I opened my fridge to find *gasp* we didn't have enough butter! So, desperate times call for desperate measures... and in went some margarine. I used about a 1/2 cup of margarine instead of butter. I'm sure this is a huge no-no to real bakers. I'm sure those people are shaking their heads right now. But whatcha gonna do? It turned out fine. Nice and moist and delicious. And I gave myself a pat on the back for my nice marbling job.

And right after I took the picture on my really cute zebra plate which never gets used, my son attacked it. Hey there! I knew it was a bad idea to take pictures of cake while he was around. Lesson learned for next time.


Thanks to Erin of When In Doubt... Leave it at 350. She selected this delicious cake and has the recipe posted for everyone who wants to give it a try.

25 comments:

Rachel said...

The marble does look delicious and I love it on the zebra plate - looks like something straight out of a magazine!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Cute! Love your marbling and your plate! :)

Nickki said...

That is such a gorgeous picture of your little boy! Delicious looking cake - and don't feel bad about the margarine, sometimes I do exactly the same thing! Don't tell anyone though lol! :-)

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

your marbling looks good and i want that cute zebra plate.

i made the coconut tea cake this week. I used grapefruit and loved it!

Jencrafted said...

Love the dark chocolate marblies (if there's such a word?) on your cake and the plate just complements the cake even more! Your cake looks rich and scrumptious!

Hindy said...

That plate makes a beautiful presentation! Glad the cake was enjoyed!

Tia said...

Beautiful Marbling on your cake! nice job this week. CUTE pic with your son eating the cake.

Pamela said...

Can you blame him for going after the cake?? I mean, he obviously knows a good thing when he sees it! Great job on the marbling, and I love the plate!

Marthe said...

Your son is so adorable with that huge hunk of bundt cake in his mouth!!

Cindy said...

Love the zebra plate and your cute little guy. I remember back in the olden days when Blue Bonnet was the fat of choice. I so love butter!

Flourchild said...

That cute little guy looks like he is really enjoying that cake! You did a fine job on it! Im glad you enjoyed the recipe. It's a keeper!

Jeannette said...

Well there's no sense in asking if the cake was yummy, I think that adorable little face noming the cake tells me all I need to know!

And I MUST know how you marbled. It looks awesome!!!!

Leslie said...

Your taster is adorable (and your cake looks pretty great too!)

Anonymous said...

wow your marbling looks great! Wasn't it delicious? I, too, had no expectations and was delighted to find this was so good.

Amanda said...

Oh he's so cute! Your marbling looks fabulous!

Katrina said...

You DID do a great job with the marbling and I love how dark and prominent your chocolate looks!

Jessica said...

Your marbling looks absolutely amazing! I noticed it even before I noticed your cute zebra plate -- which is such a great plate for this cake, by the way. I love the picture of your son eating the cake -- how cute!

Anonymous said...

I never would have made this cake, but I liked it a lot too. Your plate is so cute, and the perfect match for this cake! Super-cute picture of your son!

Kathleen said...

Your little guy is adorable. The cake looks really yummy too

Rachel said...

Your cake looks so good! I wish I could have made it, but we already had way too many sweets! :)

Susan said...

I think the picture of your son with the cake is darling! Cake looks great!

margot said...

You definitely deserve a pat on the back for the beautiful marbling. This was the perfect cake to photograph on that zebra plate. I wouldn't have given this recipe a second glance without the baking group either and it's a real winner.

Erin said...

your cake looks great, and I love the plate :)

mike said...

That really is one wonderful looking cake slice! Love the marbling - I loved this cake. It's now my marble-go-to cake. Looks fantastic in your photos!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Such a guilty look = caught in the act! So adorable, and the cake is too...