Tuesday, April 27, 2010

TWD: Chockablock Cookies


This week we are baking Chockablock Cookies for the Tuesdays with Dorie group. My first reaction was, "chocka-WHAT?" I was completely clueless what to expect as I was opening the cookbook to find the recipe.

And after I read the recipe... I was still completely clueless what to expect. Molasses? Coconut? Oatmeal? Raisins? Chocolate Chips? NUTS?!?! What is this world coming to?

So I only made a half batch. And the smell of the molasses kind of turned my stomach as I poured it in. Boy, I hope these are good.

I didn't end up having quite enough oatmeal left, and I omitted the nuts because all I had were walnuts which I don't really like (explains why they've been sitting in my house for so long).

They were super quick to make. I took them out of the oven and thought... hhhmmm... well they're not pretty! But they're actually quite good. I'm really wishing I'd had some nuts on hand because I think the only thing they're missing is a little crunch. I may have to try them again after a trip to the grocery store.

Mary of Popsicles and Sandy Feet is our host for today. You can head over to her site to find the recipe! Thanks Mary!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

they look really great!

chocolatechic said...

I was afraid of the molasses too, so I used brown sugar instead.

Mary said...

I am glad you liked them...thanks for baking along with me this week!

Cindy said...

Nuts are good! This was a fun cookie to make, so many flavors and textures. It was a winner at my house.

Kayte said...

I only made half a batch as well, as although my teen boys will down most any cookie, this one seemed full of stuff that might put the brakes on...boy was I wrong...they inhaled these and wanted more...what was I thinking???? Yours look wonderful, ugly or not, there is beauty in them!

Anonymous said...

Agreed, I was total skeptical and totally won over. The nuts were key, though. Yours look fab!

Nichicakes said...

went i first saw your photo i thought you threw some cocoa in there. i guess its just the molasses... gorgeous pic

Pamela said...

Not pretty, but still pretty tasty! Nice job.

Anonymous said...

They look great! I didn't use molasses, but I wonder if I should have used it.

Criollobylisa said...

I reduced the molasses to 1TB and cranked up the sugar. I used peanuts too! Much prettier and just as tasty!