Friday, March 20, 2009

Chocolate Caramel Cookies


Rolos. Is there really anything better? Delicious caramel wrapped up in chocolate. Two of my absolute favorite things. Put them in a chocolate cookie and you've totally made my day. Scratch that - my WEEK.


My husband went out of town last week on a ski trip. He left me home alone with our one-year old son. My son who I love so dearly, yet who really knows how to test my patience. If I don't constantly keep him busy, he's destroying something in our house. If I'm not giving him attention every second of every day, he's whining or throwing a minor fit. Have I mentioned how much I love him? I really, really do, but a mother needs a break... at least once a day. Not getting one for 4 days straight while hubby's out of town leads me to do crazy things. Like bake a batch of these cookies and eat them. All. By. Myself.



Chocolate really does cheer me up... especially when there's caramel (or ice cream) involved. These cookies did the trick. And they're really easy to whip up when you're having a freak-out moment like I was. The chocolate batter isn't overly chocolate. It's more like a sugar cookie with a hint of chocolate. But it's nice that it's not overpowering. The surprise rolo hidden in the center is really the best part. They're fun and something a little different - you've gotta try them!


Chocolate Caramel Cookies
(From Kristen Doyle)

2 and 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
30-36 chocolate-covered caramel candies (such as Rolos)
2 Tbsp. sugar

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. In a large mixing bowl, add sugar, brown sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla. Mix together until well blended. Add flour, cocoa and baking soda and mix well.

3. Refrigerate and chill dough for 30 minutes.

4. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place 1 chocolate-covered caramel candy in the center of each dough ball. Form the dough ball around the majority of the chocolate-covered caramel candy. Roll each dough ball in sugar.

5. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes. Let cool on pan for 1 minute then take off and place on cookie cooling rack.

Makes about 35 cookies.

11 comments:

Sara said...

I love rolos! What a great idea to put them in cookies. I definitely want to try this recipe.

Anonymous said...

These look delicious! I love chocolate and caramel together.

Heather said...

oh yum! rolos and reisens are my two favorite candies in the entire world!! putting them in a cookie sounds amazing :) hope you survived your weekend alone!!

Unknown said...

Oh my, I wish I could reach through my screen and eat one of those right now! They look so gooey and delicious. I love Rolos so I'm definitely giving these a shot!

Elyse said...

Mmmm, I'm totally with you: chocolate and caramel are the best! I'm glad these cookies gave you a bit of a respite from the hectic past 4 days!

Ana said...

I make these cookies all the time but with one delicious addition- take some sugar and finely chopped pecans. Roll the cookie into a ball, then dip the top into the sugar-nut mix. Mmmm.

Maria said...

The cookies look so good! Love the surprise inside!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you tried these and liked them. They are probably my favorite cookie - I could easily eat a batch all by myself too :) When your little guy gets older, you can give him the job of unwrapping all of the rolos and putting the rolo inside the cookie. Gives them something to do with those busy little hands :)

test it comm said...

Chocolate cookies stuffed with melted caramel sound so so good!

Reeni said...

Those look real yummy!! Chocolate + oozing caramel = my favorites/heaven.

--sme said...

I tried these and they turned out great! I ended up with waaay more than 3dzn cookies...must have made them a little smaller...oh well, more to enjoy!