Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday's Super Tip: Soft Brown Sugar

Ever pull out your brown sugar and find it to be hard as a rock? I usually end up tossing it and assuming it's no longer good. But, there is indeed a way to keep it soft!

Just throw a piece of bread into your bag of brown sugar. It softens it right up! And for some way-over-my-head, scientific reason, the slice of bread will not mold. So technically you could keep it there indefinitely, although that just seems a little gross. I'd recommend switching it out every so often.

So don't throw that brown sugar away - it can be saved!

2 comments:

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I've saved brown sugar many times. Another way is to put a cut piece of apple or a damp paper towel into a closed container with the bag of brown sugar that's open (but not touching the wet towel or apple). It will soften in hours, or overnight.
Nancy

Unknown said...

Had these last year at a friends Christmas party. Wow! I was literally hovering over it & I wasn't sharing! These are absolutely addicting.