Friday, July 11, 2008

Blueberry Crisp

Our blueberry picking this past weekend yielded a few pounds of blueberries. The first thing I knew I needed to make was a blueberry crisp. It was my first attempt at one. I've made apple crisp and loved it, but never blueberry. I decided to use a recipe that I picked up from the farm where we got the berries. The farm's owner, Faith Herndon, handed out some great recipes. I figured she must know a thing or two about making a good blueberry crisp. So despite seeing a ton of blueberry crisp recipes out there, I settled on hers.

This is a nice little crisp baked in a pie pan. It was really delicious. I have to admit that my husband and I finished it off in just two days. The blueberries were super sweet, and we loved it. I can't wait to make my next blueberry creation - muffins or a blueberry pound cake? Hhmmm...



Blueberry Crisp

Topping:
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
6 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
6 Tbsp. rolled oats
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
4 Tbsp. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, chilled

Filling:
1 pint rinsed, dried blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. orange juice concentrate

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 9" pie plate. Make topping. Combine dry ingredients and mix well. Cut in butter with knife and mix with your fingers until texture of coarse crumbs.

2. Prepare filling. Combine all, mix well, pour into pie plate. Spread crumb topping evenly over filling.

3. Bake 20 minutes. Serve slightly warm.

Makes 6 servings.

No comments: