Friday, February 5, 2010

Malaysian Chicken Pizza


Here's another great "light" recipe that I found in Cooking Light. And oh my word, this pizza is GOOD. Like, gotta have it again next week, good.

Be warned - Malaysian Chicken Pizza doesn't really taste like you're eating pizza. My husband took his first bite and said, "This is chinese food." And I said, "well sorta... but on pizza." And that's just how it tastes. It's so amazingly good. Take my word for it.

We usually have pizza night on Sundays. I'm not even sure how it came about, but somehow it's become our little weekly tradition. But with my diet, I figured it would be rather hard to keep pizza night going. Amazingly, it's just the opposite. I've found a lot of great low-cal pizza recipes out there. So far, this is my favorite. This one has about 295 calories per slice (1/6th of the pizza). And not only that, it's really quick and simple. This is a must-try!



Malaysian Chicken Pizza
(adapted from Cooking Light)

3/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons chunky peanut butter
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
Cooking spray
1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat, reduced-sodium Swiss cheese (such as Alpine Lace)
1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 storebought thin pizza crust (such as Boboli)
1/4 cup chopped green onions

1. Preheat oven to 450°.

2. Combine first 8 ingredients in a bowl; stir well with a whisk.

3. Heat a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add chicken, and sauté 2 minutes. Remove chicken from pan.

4. Pour rice vinegar mixture into pan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook mixture 6 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return chicken to pan; cook 1 minute or until chicken is done. (Mixture will be consistency of thick syrup.)

5. Sprinkle cheeses over prepared crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border, and top with chicken mixture. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes, checking often to make sure your crust isn't browning too much (crusts vary so read the instructions on the packaging). Sprinkle with green onions. Place pizza on a cutting board; let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Makes 6 servings.

7 comments:

karen said...

Mmmm, this looks so good. Fun and different. I love Cooking Light!

Alison @ Hospitality Haven said...

Okay that is simply amazing!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, we would LOVE this! I'm bookmarking it to try!

Natty said...

Chinese food on pizza? Sign me up! We are so having this next week!!!

Jaime said...

I have to try this! can you taste the PB? my hubby doesn't really like PB in his food...he doesn't like peanut sauce, so do you think he would like this? if not i'll have to make it when he isn't home! :)

how are you doing w/baby? :)

Fat Girl Gone Thin said...

I love this idea. I've had pizzas like this at restaurants before but have never been able to recreate them at home. Excited to try this one.

Melissa said...

Jaime - you can't taste the peanut butter at all. The little peanuts give it some crunch, but if you don't think your hubby would like that, you can always use creamy instead.

Baby is doing well - he's a good sleeper, which is helping me stay sane! :-) Hope your new little one is doing well!