Tuesday, November 25, 2008

TWD: Thanksgiving Twofer Pie


What a perfect selection for Thanksgiving week! This "twofer pie", as Dorie calls it, is a pumpkin pecan pie. It was chosen by Vibi of La Casserole Carrée. The recipe is on her site.

Despite the name, I decided not to wait until Thanksgiving to make this, and instead served it over the weekend when I had friends over for dinner - with a little vanilla ice cream, of course. It was a real hit and my husband is STILL raving about it. He was a little sad and whiny that he won't be getting any on Thanksgiving. Being the mean wife that I am, I have no desire to make this again no matter how much he wants it! I'm in charge of the apple pie this year at my family's Thanksgiving dinner and that will be enough work for me. There's no way two pies will get made between now and Thursday, so he's out of luck.

As far as my opinion of the pie goes, I'll just begin by saying that I've never been a fan of pumpkin pie. There's something about the consistency that really turns me off. So I was hopeful that this pie would be just enough pecan to balance it out and make me a fan. Well, it was pretty good, but that layer of pumpkin still just didn't do it for me. I had one piece and let my husband enjoy the rest of the leftovers. See, I'm not that mean of a wife.


So if you're a pumpkin pie fan, I think you're going to really like it. One thing I really did enjoy was Dorie's pie crust. I love it's flakiness and it's flavor, which is why I'm using the crust to make my apple pie on Thanksgiving. I'm getting very excited just thinking about it.

Hope everyone has a fabulous Thanksgiving!

12 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

Sounds like your husband might demand a re-do :) Maybe if you scaled down the pumpkin layer and scaled up the pecan layer, you'd like it better?

Sabrina said...

That looks really great! I am not a pumpkin pie fan either.... consistancy thing too I guess.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I loved this pie. It was so good. It was a big hit here too.

vibi said...

Thank you so much Melissa, for participating with me this week despite your aversion of pumpkin!
Your pie does look great though, and... I pity your husband just a tiny bit. But then again, I'm positive he'll enjoy your apple pie just as much!
A very happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Well, it looks very good! You did a great job on this!

Pamela said...

The crust on your pie looks amazing. It held up really well. Did you rest it on the lip of the pan? Just looking for pointers when I make mine on Friday. I love Dorie's crust, but mine are not always picture perfect. Happy Thanksgiving!!

Pamela said...

Thanks for the tips, Melissa! I will definitely be trying them out.

Steph said...

Your pie looks yummy, and your husband is so lucky to be able to eat all the leftovers. I don't leave leftovers for my boyfriend :)

Cakelaw said...

Yum - your pie is picture perfect! You have a lucky husband - I loved the filling in this pie.

Jacque said...

LOL, maybe you can make this for your husband again next year.

It looks fantastic!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your pie looks fabulous!

Cathy said...

Oh, yours looks perfect! If I had been able to do even half as good a job as you did, I know that we would have loved this pie. Now that I see what this pie is SUPPOSED to look like, maybe I'll get up the courage to try again someday. Hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving!