Tuesday, November 4, 2008

TWD: Rugelach


This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was selected by Piggy of Piggy's Cooking Journal. Click on over to her blog if you'd like the recipe to make these fun cookies.

If you're like me, you're reading the name of this cookie and thinking, huh? How do I prounounce this? And what in the world is it? Well, that's what I like about this group... I'm trying new things. I now know that rugelach is a rolled cookie made with a cream cheese based dough. It's typically filled with nuts, raisins and preserves.

I used one out of the three of those fillings. I tossed out the idea of nuts because I knew no one would eat them but me. I made them with raspberry jam - one batch with bittersweet and white chocolates, and the other with bittersweet chocolate and dried cranberries.


They were just a tad bit harder to make than I originally thought. I listened to Dorie's podcast about how to make them and she made it sound so simple. It didn't help that I started out the process by slicing my finger on the blade of the food processor. That hurt like the dickens! So I was a bit impaired as I was trying to roll out the dough and spread on the fillings and then roll up the little crescents. It eventually all got done, and they came out looking pretty good.

I brought them with me to visit some family and I think a few people tried them, but I took a whole lot home with me, so I'm not sure if they weren't liked, or people just weren't all that interested. I, however, do think they're yummy. My husband said, "they're okay." I probably won't make them again, but they sure look pretty and I'm glad I tried them. Now I have to finish the 10 or so cookies that are left all by myself. Darn.


And by the way, happy election day! Hope everyone is getting out and voting!

19 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

Ooo - I hope your finger heals quickly, I hate when I do that! I love how chock-full of fillings yours look, and if you can't find anyone to finish yours off, I'd be perfectly willing to sacrifice :)

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Ouch! No fun on the finger slice. Even with the injury it looks like yours turned out beautifully!

Mary Ann said...

Those food processors can be tricky. I have had multiple near finger slice offs. Your cookies turned out looking delish!

chocolatechic said...

Yours look beautiful.

Hope your finger feels better soon.

Piggy said...

Sorry to hear about the accident with the blade of food processor. Your rugelach looks great though!

CB said...

Mmmm... I bet the raspberry and white chocolate was delish! I liked them but its not my favorite Dorie recipe so I am not sure I'll make it again either. Still glad I made it at least once though.
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Cathy said...

Eeek -- sorry about your finger! The dangers that we must face for our art. I think your rugelach look perfect! I love the fact that you can "tailor" these to your and your family's tastes. Enjoy the last ten!

Kristin said...

I too have wondered how to pronounce it! I say roo-guh-la, but I bet that is wrong. Sorry about your finger! Your cookies turned out beautiful.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Those rugelach are so pretty one would never know that digits were imperiled in the process! Your combinations sound really good, and I'm glad that you at least liked them. Always a bonus to have a happy cook.
Nancy

Pamela said...

Ouch! Hurting myself (or having anyone get hurt) on that blade is one of my greatest fears! Hope you are feeling okay. I've never made these before now and I really liked them. They came out lovely.

Michelle A'etonu said...

cutting a finger while baking...totally not cool. But they came out great! I decided I'm going to make them after all. I have a friend visiting and I had the cookbook open to the page the recipe is on and she said, "are you baking these today? they look so good!" So yeah, I'll be baking them. I won't post until later though!

NKP said...

I have had one of those blade injuries. So painful.
The rugelach look great, I like the cranberry idea.

Beth said...

They do look pretty! I'm a fellow TWD baker, and I was thinking that it would be nice if we all could chip in and get Laurie some small token/gift for all the work she does. Would you be willing to contribute? If I can get enough people, it would only be about $1 per person. No pressure :-) Let me know! bethberg12@yahoo.com

Jamie said...

Sorry about your finger, my boyfriend was in agreement with your hubby on these...he proclaimed them to be "not my best work." :)

Cakelaw said...

Your rugelach look great! I have no idea how to pronounce it either - they are new to me too. I found the dough rather diffult to work with too, but would like to try them again with different filling.

Christine said...

Slicing a finger is no fun! Your Rugelach rolled out perfectly and your variations are delicious!

Kristina said...

I know everyone else has said it to but yours look great! I cut my finger on a hand blender one time and unfortunately it's never been the same! I'm sure you weren't as dumb as I was! Good luck in your healing process :)

LyB said...

They look delicious, really! Cutting a finger on the food processor blade sounds like something I would do. :)

Shari said...

Hope your finger's feeling better! I think your rugelach look perfect!