Monday, July 6, 2009

Fruit Bowl


I thought a nice refreshing fruit salad would be a perfect complement to our Fourth of July BBQ. So I was delighted that the Fruit Bowl was selected for this week's installment of the group My Girl, Paula.

I was surprised to see Tang listed as one of the ingredients in this fruit salad. I haven't had Tang in yeeeeeaarrrs! And frankly, wasn't really sure if I liked it or not. I guess I'd find out. It was so super easy to throw this together and I had very little clean-up - a big (no, HUGE) plus for me.

But the verdict? It was way too Tang-y and I guess I don't like Tang after all. It really wasn't bad, I've had several spoonfuls of it just because I don't want it to go to waste. And my husband did seem to enjoy it. I guess if you like the taste of Tang then this is the fruit salad for you. If not, you might want to cut down on the amount of Tang or try a different ingredient for your sauce altogether. I know Paula has a fruit salad recipe that uses a honey poppy seed dressing... maybe I'll try that one next time.


Fruit Bowl
(by Paula Deen)

3 Tbsp. orange Tang Breakfast Drink mix
15.5-oz. can pineapple chunks, drained, juice reserved
3.4-oz. box instant lemon pudding mix
16-oz. can chunky mixed fruit, drained
11-oz. can mandarin oranges, drained
6-oz. jar maraschino cherries
3 large bananas

1. Stir the Tang into the pineapple juice. Add the lemon pudding mix and stir well. Combine the pineapple, mixed fruit, oranges, and cherries, then mix the fruit and pudding mixtures together; toss well. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Just before serving, slice and add the bananas.

Makes 12-15 servings.

5 comments:

Caroline said...

That's about the same verdict as our family had. I really wanted to like it, but Tang just scares me!! Even the check-out girl said, "Wow, Tang - I didn't know anyone still drank that stuff!" LOL!!

Michelle said...

I really liked the recipe, but thought it was too saucy. I still need to post mine...hopefully tonight.

Donna-FFW said...

Melissa. This sonds delightful, refreshing and has a lovely color.

Maria said...

I love fruit, looks very tasty!

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy. Unfortunately I didn't have time to make it. I've been so busy with school.