Saturday, May 30, 2009

Pineapple-Cheddar Cornbread


I always know summer is approaching when our calendar starts becoming packed with out-of-town trips. A trip up to New York to visit my husband's family, a Memorial Day trip to Virginia for a family reunion... and that was just May. But wanna know one of my favorite things about taking trips? I buy a ton of magazines to keep me occupied for the long drives. Cooking Light, Better Homes and Gardens, Martha Stewart, Good Housekeeping, Gourmet... just to name a few. And you better believe I have a huge pile of clippings by the time we get home.

Well, this recipe was like striking gold in the very, very back of a Better Homes and Gardens. Man, this is delicious cornbread! I don't think I can rave enough about it! Even my husband, who is so not a fan of cornbread, gobbled this right up. He usually complains that cornbread is too dry. But this bread? Just the opposite. It's moist and flavorful and... did I mention it's just delicious?


This bread is so easy to make and is a fantastic side dish to just about any meal. The cheese really gives it a great flavor while the pineapple makes it incredibly moist. This is not your run of the mill, ordinary cornbread. Make this with dinner tonight, you won't be sorry!



Pineapple-Cheddar Cornbread
(from Better Homes & Gardens)

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 eggs, lightly beaten
14.75-oz. can cream-style corn
8-oz. can crushed pineapple (juice pack), drained
4 oz. cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (1 cup)

1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease and flour a 2-quart rectangular baking dish (I used an 8-inch square pan); set aside.

2. In medium bowl combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

3. In large mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds. Add eggs, one at a time; beat well after each addition. Beat in flour mixture on low speed just until combined. Stir in corn, drained pineapple, and cheese. Spoon batter into prepared dish.

4. Bake about 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cut in squares. Serve warm.

8 comments:

Elyse said...

I love pineapple and cheddar together. So darn good! I love them in casseroles, so I can only imagine how wonderful this cornbread must be. Can't wait to try this one out. Looks delish!

Donna-FFW said...

Oh this looks delicious. I love the sound of this combiation.

test it comm said...

I like the sound of adding pineapple to corn bread!

Maria said...

Interesting combo! I bet it is really good!

Jaime said...

wow, pineapple and cheddar? i can see how that would be good b/c i really enjoyed the apple cheddar scones we made for TWD!

Anonymous said...

Does it taste okay the next day or cold? I'm not sure I can wrap my mind around putting pineapple in cornbread, but hey, I think I'm going to try it tonight! Tammi in Texas

Melissa said...

Tammi, it tastes really good the next day too. We actually took it to a friend's house for a party and everyone ate it cold there and really liked it. Hope it turns out well for you!

Sarah Beyler said...

This sounds fantastic. Curious...has anyone tried a different kind of cheese? I'd love to skip a trip to the store just for a block of cheese but I'm unsure how the gruyere that I have in the fridge will pair with this.